What Is GLOW?
- All Art functions in the dark
- $5 Suggested donation at the door (participating artists, volunteers, & sponsors get in free)
- Artist Participation Fee = $15
Untitled will supply a black light if needed. This is included in the $15 participation fee.
Bringing your own black light? It must be the fluorescent tube type that can hang above your work.
All of the regular showing guidelines still apply. Visit our Participate page to learn about the steps to showing with Untitled.
GLOW Show Registration
Registration is OPEN for GLOW! You can fill out the registration survey HERE or…
What Can I Submit To GLOW?
Glow-in-the-dark, Black-lit, Back-lit, Self-lit, Light boxes, artistic lighting, performance art, etc.
(This is the only Untitled show that has a requirement or theme.)
Normal art with its own light source that is not a part of the piece itself is not allowed.
In addition to the one piece per artist allowance, you may also submit work into:
- Snap Photography Slide-show (see SNAP’s Events page!)
Untitled is just a bunch of artists & volunteers making shows happen together. Please be kind to each other by helping out as much as you can and meeting every deadline and following every rule.
- Dollar Tree – Many items. Check the toy area too.
- Party City – Lots of fun glowing and flashing items
- Michael’s (Varies)
- Target - Look in the dollar section or the party section
- Hot Topic
- Hobby Lobby
- Performance Studios – 1205 Church Street, Nashville, TN 37203 615.256.0070 (glow in the dark, luminescent and day-glow makeup & powders suitable for painting skin)
- Spencer’s – Selections vary
Anything from cheap craft paint to better quality acrylic or set design paints.
Keep in mind that some glow in the dark products may fade after being out of the light for a few hours.
For invisible black light paint and ink, see links below and search internet for “UV invisible ink” or “Invisible black light paint”, etc.
- Pla-za Artists Materials (there is a cool uv acrylic glaze available at Pla-za)
- Jerry’s Artarama
- Hobby Lobby
- ThinkGeek Gadgets – Lights & Lasers
- Wildfire – Lots of interesting products including water dyes
- Rosco – Where to buy lots of interesting products here too
- Glonation – Long lasting glow in the dark products and paints
- Ready Set Glo
- Risk Reactor Clear Black Light Paints! (both oil & water based) & lots more
- Blacklight.com Invisible ink & more
- Clearneon.com Invisible black light paint, including aerosol!
- Glow yarn
- Textile Printing Dye
- Glow in the Dark Tape
- Glow in the Dark Thread
Be sure to experiment at home with your own black light! Or bring stuff to a meeting to test under our black lights.
- Downy and other liquid fabric softeners will glow under black light. The makers of the detergent put in chemicals that glow under UV light, so your clothes appear extra bright. Experiment w/ various brands.
- Laundry detergents such as Tide – glows light blue
- Borax will also glow under black light.
- Fluorescent chalk, pencils and clay all glow under black light, but fluorescent spray does not. (be sure to test as products vary)
- Some phosphorescent objects (like the glow-in-the-dark adhesive stars you can put on your ceiling) will fade gradually after being out of direct light for a while.
- Wildfire and Rosco are two paint brands with excellent fluorescent colors
- Tonic Water – glows light blue. The Quinine in tonic water glows blue when under UV exposure.
- Vitamins (specifically vitamin A, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin) fluoresce strongly. A small piece of a vitamin B-12 tablet crushed and dissolved in vinegar glows a bright yellow under UV light.
- Chlorophyll – glows blood red! (Grind some spinach or swiss chard in a small amount of alcohol (e.g., vodka or everclear) and pour it through a coffee filter to get chlorophyll extract (you keep the part that stays on the filter, not the liquid) For a Red glow, mash up green spinach leaves and mix with a small amount of ethanol, this will glow blood red under UV.
- Enzymes in some biological washing powder and dishwasher powder glow blue. These enzymes are sometimes added to whitening toothpastes too.
- Toothpaste / Tooth whiteners
- Lint from the dryer? Probably depends on your laundry detergents.
- Do Red Bull and Amp energy drinks glow? Or are these rumors? Try it and let us know.
- Some fishing line and other fishing materials. interesting link
- Petroleum jelly
- White paper
- Highlighter pens (some – be sure to test)
- Milk – glows pale orange
- Various minerals like fluorite,calcite, opal, amber, quartz, etc
- RIT Whitener & Brightener – glows light blue
- Woolite – glows green
- Postage stamps
- Baby powder – glows white
- Biological fluids
- Nocturnal Scorpions- Link
Glowing Things Gallery
For more on what looks pretty in the dark purple light, visit http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/f/blblacklight.htm
Drinks that glow under black-light:
LEDS About LED Art
- How to make an LED throwie
- Video: Making an LED throwie
- To dispose of Lithium batteries in your area
Other LED projects:
- Pocket LED light
- LED word writing
- LED ice bulb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7u0axpnhs)
- LED Floaties
- LED Patchie
Other Glowing Projects:
Inspiration and Fun
- Exhibit at Greylock Arts – LEDS are pretty
- Laundry Detergent Paintings
- Light brick
- TXTual Healing (public performances w/ text messages)
- Drip TXT
- LED throwies
- (K)night Light
- Richard Box (Field)
- Daydream / Nightmare Cross stitch (glow in the dark)
- Bioluminescent Fungi
- Painting with light NPR Video
- Bruce Munro light sculptures
- Temporary Graffiti
- Will it blend? – Glow sticks
- Glowsticking – community, tutorials, videos
- UV / GLOW tattoos
- Fenfire UV show video – awesome!
- Attraction Blacklight Theatre
- Decorating for black light
- Glowing Tomato
- Glowing Animals
- GlowWorm Video
- Sheep LED Art Video
- VERY Cool Ad Video
- Most Awesome Lamp Designs
Do you have any ideas / links to share? Questions?